2020 Well-Being Report Student Forum, Navigating Difficult Conversations, and Other Events and Opportunities, 10/26-11/9
We hope that you’ll join us for Thursday’s Student Forum: The 2020 Columbia Student Well-Being Report on October 28 from 12:00-1:00 PM ET, where you can learn about key findings from the Report and how the University will use them to enhance the student experience. There will also be a Q & A, so be sure to submit questions with your registration!
University Life Opportunities and Events (All events in ET)
- Black and Latinx/a/o Diversity Faculty Roundtable. The Graduate Initiative for Inclusion and Engagement invites students to the next installment of the Diversity Roundtable Series. This series is an opportunity for students to have meaningful conversations with faculty about critical student life issues affecting marginalized communities. Although this series was developed with graduate students in mind, all are welcome to join! Tuesday, October 26, 4:00-5:15 PM. Register here.
- Navigating Difficult Conversations. What makes a conversation difficult and how can we make a difficult conversation productive? This workshop will walk you through a step-by-step process to help you to navigate tough conversations. This fulfills the Inclusion & Belonging component of the Community Citizenship Initiative. Thursday, October 28, 5:00-6:30 PM. Register here.
- Low Lounge Performer Sign-up. The University Life Events Council is hosting the annual Low Lounge celebration on Tuesday, December 14. Celebrate the end of the semester as the Low Library Rotunda is transformed into the ultimate study break with snacks, games, student performances, raffles and more! Interested in performing at this event? Be sure to sign up before Wednesday, November 3.
- Desserts with Strangers Sign-up. Join the University Life Events Council for a journey around the world via desserts! If you’ve been looking to cure your sweet tooth and meet some new friends, enter for a spot at the event by Wednesday, November 3 at 12:00 PM ET as capacity is limited. Desserts with Strangers is scheduled for Thursday, November 11, 7:00-8:00 PM.
- A Workshop Conversation on Bias: Recognizing the Role We All Play. Join us for this interactive workshop where you can learn more about and reflect on your identities and biases, how these manifest in society, and how we can all contribute to a community of Inclusion and Belonging at Columbia. Wednesday, November 3, 12:00-1:30 PM. Register here.
- Campus Conversations. Make friends, have real conversations and earn credit for the Inclusion and Belonging component of the Community Citizenship Initiative (CCI), required for all newly enrolled students. Sign up now for a Campus Conversation event, which are available at varying locations and times now through Tuesday, November 4. Learn more and register here.
- Become a University Life Ambassador! Passionate about building community at Columbia? University Life Ambassadors contribute ideas, engage with student leaders, and work with University Life staff to promote events and more. Interested? Apply by Sunday, November 14!
- Yoga Class. Join Religious Life for a free one-hour yoga class every Wednesday at 7:00 PM throughout Fall semester! Please bring your own mat and arrive 10 minutes early to reserve your spot, as there is a 20-person maximum. See upcoming classes here.
University-wide Events and Opportunities (All events in ET)
- New York State 2021 Election: Ballot Questions 101. Early Voting is in full swing and the Holder Initiative and New York Civil Liberties Union are hosting a workshop to learn more about what’s on the ballot this Fall and implications for Voting Rights and more in New York. Today, October 26, 6:00 PM. Register here.
- CU There! Industry Night. Join the Columbia Alumni Association for this event in their CU There! series, which connects students with Columbia Alumni. Industry Night will feature alumni from real estate, technology/engineering, consulting, law/government and many other fields! Wednesday, October 27, 7:00-8:00 PM. Register here.
- Understanding Daily Life Through a Spiritual Lens. Through reflection, music, and group exercises, the Spirit Mind Body Institute Spiritual Wellness Center will help you to explore your well-being during this six-week program. Spiritual well-being will be discussed through a strength-based approach and all are welcome to join. Wednesdays from October 27-December 8, 5:30-7:00 PM. Register here.
- Breaking Through the Bamboo Ceiling: Asian Americans as Leaders in U.S. Academia. Join Global Centers | Beijing and the Asian Faculty Association for their inaugural leadership webinar, who will share what they have learned from their career paths and explore ways that Asian-Americans can overcome barriers in the workplace. Friday, October 29, 1:30 PM. Register here.
- Mauvais Genres Film Festival. Join Maison Française for a series of nine films, both modern and classic, that take on questions of gender identity and sexual orientation. Now through November 11, 7:00-9:00 PM on various dates. Learn more here.
- Race + Data Science Lecture Series. The Data Science Institute is hosting ongoing virtual lectures that aim to celebrate and advance research in the areas of race and data, engineering and computational science. Each Wednesday, the Institute will host a new lecturer from various companies and institutions. Times vary. See the full listing of events and learn more here.
Have a great week,
Joseph Defraine Greenwell, Ed.D.
Vice President for Student Affairs
Office of University Life
Gender Pronouns: He/Him/His
Associate Vice President for Student Life
Office of University Life
Gender Pronouns: She/Her/Hers