What is the purpose of the University Life Events Council?
The University Life Events Council is a group of students from each school who plan activities that connect students across all Columbia schools.
Their goals are to:
- build community through University-wide social programs and events,
- create opportunities for students to connect beyond their schools through student engagement, leadership and programming,
- produce events that include film, wellness, inclusion and belonging, and University community traditions.
Who is on the Events Council?
The University Life Events Council is made up of:
- The Leadership Team: Students that take a larger role in the planning and implementation of events and programs,
- School Liaisons: Students who represent their schools and give feedback on University Life initiatives,
- Committee Members: Active members of the committees and event volunteers.
What do Events Council members do?
Events Council members perform a number of critical functions on behalf of other students and the University community, including:
- envisioning and creating appealing, inclusive and engaging events
- getting the word out to students about the events
- helping staff and/or enlisting volunteers for large-scale events
- keeping their school’s student government apprised of events
- promoting and/or co-sponsoring other student-led events
University Life supports the Events Council with administrative liaisons, funding and logistical support and promotion.
How do I join the Events Council?
All Columbia students are welcome to apply for the Events Council leadership team, become a school liaison or join as a general council member! The Leadership application opens up from time-to-time, so keep an eye on our site for these opportunities. We'd love to hear from you if you are interested in getting involved.
CU FILM SHOWCASE 2021
Missed the showcase? No worries, check out our finalist's short films: