Welcome Home Columbia Continues, Virtual Global Internships, and Other Events and Opportunities, 9/14-9/28
We are in the midst of Welcome Home Columbia and there are a wide range of events over the next two weeks. We hope to see you there!
Please note that our in-person capacity is limited due to COVID, and you may be placed on a waitlist if events fill up. We appreciate your patience. Your health and safety matter to us!
Columbia Welcome (All events in ET)
- First Gen Affinity Space. This event brings together students from historically marginalized communities to network and socialize. Tuesday, 9/14, 4:00-5:00 PM. Register here.
- The Graduate Initiative for Inclusion and Engagement Welcome Event. The Graduate Initiative for Inclusion and Engagement is part of Columbia’s commitment to diversity and to the success of all graduate and professional school students. Participants have the opportunity to engage staff with shared experiences, form connections with other students and learn about resources for graduate and professional students. Friday, 9/17, 1:00-3:00 PM. Register here.
- Welcome Back Film Screening: Soul. The University Life Events Council invites you to a virtual screening of the Pixar film Soul. You can watch the movie anytime during the weekend in the comfort of your own home! 9/17-9/19. Register here.
- Multi-Faith Service of Music, Reflection, and Hope. Join the Office of Religious Life for a multi-faith service of music, reflection and hope. Musical reflections will be offered, and religious life advisers from a variety of traditions will share readings from their traditions. Monday, 9/20, 1:30-2:30 PM. Register here.
- Double Pandemic: Contending with COVID-19 & the Impact of Racism. While the global COVID-19 pandemic has deeply impacted our lives, Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC) communities have had to simultaneously navigate the ongoing harms and risks of systemic racism. All students are welcomed to join this event to share what it means to contend with COVID-19's impact alongside the ongoing fight for racial justice. Monday, 9/20, 6:30-7:30 PM. Register here.
- You can find more Columbia Reflects events here.
- Connect with other students on this scavenger hunt to explore Columbia's incredible resources and learn about our campuses! Teams who complete the hunt will be entered into a raffle for prizes. 9/23-9/24, 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM. Register here to be assigned to a team or sign up with your own team.
Racial Justice Mini-Grant Program
- Applications for the Racial Justice Mini-Grant Program are open! Last year, the RJMG program supported 27 grantees who created podcasts, lectures, workshops, and other projects that all worked toward the goal of advancing racial justice. Interested in learning more? Join an info session on Wednesday, 9/22, 5:00-6:00 PM. Apply by 10/1.
Student Health Insurance deadlines
- Morningside students: the deadline to submit a waiver request is 9/16, and the deadline for open enrollment is 9/30. Learn more.
University-wide Events and Opportunities (All events in ET)
- Security Awareness Day. Join Public Safety to learn how you can keep yourself and your property safe. Participants are encouraged to ride their bikes to receive a free tune-up, and/or bring any old electronics or documents that they would like to discard safely. CUIMC: 9/17, 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM; Morningside: 9/21, 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM.
- Virtual Global Internships. Columbia Global Centers around the world have identified hundreds of virtual internships throughout their partner networks. Apply by 9/20.
Have a great week,
Joseph Defraine Greenwell, Ed.D.
Vice President for Student Affairs
Office of University Life
Gender Pronouns: He/Him/His
Associate Vice President for Student Life
Office of University Life
Gender Pronouns: She/Her/Hers