Welcome Home Columbia, Situational Awareness Training, and other Events and Opportunities, 9/7-9/21
Welcome back to campus! We hope that you enjoyed your summer. This week marks the beginning of Welcome Home Columbia and we hope you’ll take part in at least one of these events. As a reminder, face coverings are required for all indoor activities. You may also choose to wear a mask outside at all of our outdoor events.
Welcome Home Columbia (All events in ET)
Welcome Home Columbia is a free series of events open to all students. Visiting the site will provide you with information about everything we have planned! Below are the events happening this week as part of Columbia Welcome.
- Virtual Speed Friending. If you’re looking to expand your social circle, check out Speed Friending for networking, games, and e-gift card giveaways! Join our session tomorrow, 9/8 from 6:00-7:00 PM.
- Maps and Snacks. Meet with a University Life Welcome Ambassador to receive a campus map and some snacks to fuel your exploration! Register for Thursday, 9/9 from 9:00-11:00 AM or register for Friday, 9/10 from 9:00-11:00 AM.
- Justice Through the Arts Virtual Showcase. Join this showcase of artists and performers from the Columbia community as they share their creative pieces from many mediums that focus on racial justice. Hosted by poet Lyrical Faith. Friday, 9/10, 12:00-1:30 PM. Register here.
- Affinity Spaces. These spaces bring together students from historically marginalized communities to network and socialize. Times and locations vary; for a full listing of these spaces, visit the Columbia Welcome events page.
- Welcome Home Columbia Volunteer Sign-up. We’re looking for enthusiastic volunteers to help welcome students back to campus. If you want to get involved with Welcome Home Columbia, sign up here by Sunday, 9/12 at midnight (12:00 AM).
Please note that our capacity is limited due to COVID. Therefore you may be placed on a waitlist for these events if they fill up. We appreciate your patience. Your health and safety is what matters to us!
University-wide Events and Opportunities (All events in ET)
- US Withdrawal from Afghanistan. Join these Columbia Student Veterans forums on community support and assisting the efforts around the Afghanistan crisis. The event will begin as a roundtable discussion, with current students, alumni and various guests highlighting the current resources and opportunities to get involved. There will be two sessions: Friday, 9/10, 12:00-2:00 PM OR 2:30-4:30 PM
- Situational Awareness Training Workshop. Join Public Safety for this situational awareness training where you will learn techniques to protect your personal safety. Register here for Friday, 9/10, 9:00-10:00 AM or register here for Tuesday, 9/14, 4:00-5:00 PM.
Have a great week,
Joseph Defraine Greenwell, Ed.D.
Vice President for Student Affairs
Office of University Life
Gender Pronouns: He/Him/His
Associate Vice President for Student Life
Office of University Life
Gender Pronouns: She/Her/Hers