Welcome Back and Safety Resources for You
Dear Columbia Community Members,
Welcome to the start of a new academic year! We are excited to see you on our campuses and to experience the energy of our community coming together again.
We write to share important safety information and University resources. The City’s vibrant neighborhoods, institutions and communities offer countless opportunities to learn, enjoy ourselves and make new connections. And yet, in a large and bustling city, we must also stay attuned to safety–our own and each other’s.
To help you do so, we encourage you to use the free University Public Safety resources below. Our greatest resource continues to be our Public Safety team, and we are delighted that Gerald Lewis will be leading that team as the incoming Vice President for Public Safety, beginning later this month.
Getting Around Safely
- Intercampus Shuttle: This bus runs Monday to Saturday (excluding University holidays) among Columbia’s Morningside, Manhattanville, and CUIMC campuses.
- Manhattanville Loop: This bus connects frequently visited places on the Morningside and Manhattanville campuses and operates Monday to Friday (excluding University holidays).
- The Passio Go! app allows you to view University buses in “real-time” as they travel.
- On-Demand Evening Shuttle: This service provides transportation around the Morningside and Manhattanville campuses until 3:00 AM. Learn more about how it works, hours of operation and get a unique promo code to ride (UNI login required).
- Safety Escorts are available to walk with you across the Morningside, Manhattanville, and CUIMC campuses and surrounding areas.
For additional transportation options, visit Columbia’s Transportation website.
Columbia’s App for Public Safety - LionSafe
- The LionSafe app is available to all Columbia affiliates and allows you to quickly request emergency services, access maps, shuttle schedules, crime alerts, emergency protocols, and campus safety notifications. The Friend Walk feature also allows you to share your location with a friend in real-time.
Emergency Text Messages
Public Safety sends text updates about emergency events on or near campus. Check to be sure you are signed up and manage your notification preferences here.
Columbia’s Public Safety is available at any time of day, every day. Please store these critical numbers in your phone:
- Morningside Campus Emergency Line: 212-854-5555
- Manhattanville Campus Emergency Line: 212-853-3333
- Medical Center Campus Emergency Line: 212-305-7979
Upcoming Safety Awareness Events
- Situational Awareness Training (Virtual). Learn to be alert to potential threats to your health and safety and be cognizant of emergency exits and other paths to safety. Monday, September 22, 10:00 - 11:00 AM ET. Learn more and register.
- Operation ID / Electronic Tattoos (In-Person). Engrave your laptop, cellphone, bike and other valuables, so they are easier to identify if lost or stolen. Various dates and times. Learn more.
A full calendar of events is available on the Public Safety website.
Public Safety is here to support you 24/7/365 and strives to continually improve our service to the Columbia community, and your feedback is welcome. You can also always email Public Safety ([email protected]) with feedback and questions.
Subscribe to the Public Safety monthly newsletter and follow us both on our Facebook (@cupublicsafety, @ColumbiaUniversityLife) and Instagram channels (@columbiapublicsafety, @ColumbiaULife) to keep up to date with the latest information.
We wish you all a safe, productive, and enjoyable year ahead.
Deidre M. Fuchs (she/her/hers)
Interim Vice President, Public Safety
Assistant Vice President, Investigations
Department of Public Safety