TODAY at 3 PM: University Life Forum: Racial Justice, the Chauvin Trial and Beyond, and Other Events and Opportunities, 4/20-5/4
We hope to see you at today’s University Life Forum: Racial Justice, the Chauvin Trial and Beyond. This moderated discussion, featuring faculty from across the University, including Carmela Alcántara, Farah Jasmine Griffin, Bernard E. Harcourt and Josef Sorett, will explore this pivotal moment in the American Racial Justice movement. It is hosted in partnership with the Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty Advancement. Please register here.
As commencement draws nearer, learn more about the virtual University ceremony (and why it’s virtual), grad walk and school ceremonies, and other events. And don’t forget to download the virtual photobooth kit and use #RoarLions2021 when you post!
University Life Events (All events are ET)
- Baccalaureate Service. The Office of Religious Life and the Commencement Office invite you to a multifaith service celebrating the completion of each undergraduate’s academic career. Service highlights include musical selections, readings and reflections by students. Sunday, 4/25, 10:00-11:00 AM. Register here.
- Interschool Governing Board (IGB) Executive Board applications. Members of IGB-recognized student organizations are eligible to run for positions on the IGB Executive Board. Apply by 5/3!
Racial Justice Mini Grants Events
- Promoting Racial Justice in STEM Industries. Keynote Speaker Katrina Jones and a panel of PhD graduates will share how they're working to promote racial justice in their positions in STEM and discuss their personal experiences. Wednesday, 4/28, 6:00-7:30 PM. Register here.
- Racial Justice Reimagined: Creating Change at Columbia & Beyond. This event celebrates the works of the inaugural recipients of the Racial Justice Mini-Grants. Grantees will share more about the projects they created with a goal of advancing racial justice at Columbia and beyond. Wednesday, 5/5, 4:00-5:00 PM. Register here.
University-wide Events and Opportunities
- We Have to Reimagine: A Conversation About Anti-Asian Racism & Violence. Join the Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty Advancement and the Committee on Equity and Diversity in Arts and Sciences for this interdisciplinary panel, which will address the historical roots and current manifestations of anti-Asian racism and violence in our collective efforts to reimagine. Wednesday, 4/21, 2:00-3:30 PM. Register here.
- Free Week of Fitness. Physical Education and Recreation is offering a free week of (virtual) fitness classes! Now through 4/23. Register here.
- Mentor of the Year Award Nominations. The Mentor of the Year Award is presented each year by the Irving Institute and the Office of Academic Affairs to faculty on the CUIMC campus in recognition of their outstanding guidance and support provided to students, fellows, and colleagues. Nominate your mentor by Friday, 4/23.
Visit University Life’s website, Instagram and Facebook to learn more, and reach out to [email protected] with any questions or concerns.
Have a great week,
Joseph Defraine Greenwell, Ed.D.
Vice President for Student Affairs
Office of University Life
Gender Pronouns: He/Him/His
Associate Vice President for Student Life
Office of University Life
Gender Pronouns: She/Her/Hers