Voting Info Office Hours Tonight, Fun Virtual Events and Opportunities for You, 10/6 to 10/20
University Life invites you to connect with your peers and join our events! Want to take a break from school and dance with friends? Are you in the mood to learn how to paint your masterpiece? We have something for all Columbia students in the events listed below.
But first, if you’re eligible to vote in the upcoming U.S. general elections and have questions about the process in your state, Columbia Votes will hold office hours today from 8 to 9 PM EST to provide answers. Click on this link to participate. Some local voting regulations are changing, so please safeguard your right to vote. Learn more by visiting Vote.Columbia.edu. You can also visit our CU Engage page for information about civic engagement events, voting and more.
Please join us for these events and opportunities over the next two weeks. All times are Eastern Standard Time.
University Life Events
- Virtual Dance Break, Thursday, 10/8, 2-2:30 PM
- Sign up for the Movement Challenge, a Wellness Days event promoting physical activity, by Thursday, 10/15 at 11:59 PM
- Wellness Days Workshop: Reducing and Managing Stress in a Virtual World, Tuesday, 10/13, 2-3 PM
- Halloween Painting Party, Thursday, 10/15, 6-7 PM
- Submit your spooky film clip for the Spooky Showcase by Sunday, 10/18 at 11:59 PM
Other Events at Columbia
- American Voter Project: The 2020 Election, Thursday, 10/8, 6-7:30 PM. Part of the Eric H. Holder Jr. Initiative for Civil and Political Rights
- The CUIMC Election Forum: Health Policy & the Upcoming Election, Wednesday, 10/14, 5-7 PM
- Race, Inequality, and Perspectives on the U.S. Elections, Thursday, 10/15, 6:30-7:45 PM
- Sharing Our Stories: An Evening to Benefit Community Impact, Thursday, 10/15, 6:45 PM
- How the Irish Became White, a panel and book discussion, Friday, 10/16,10:30 AM-noon
- Our Problem with "Truthiness": The Centuries-Long History of Fake News in the United States, Tuesday, 10/20, 6:30 PM. Part of the SPS Gets Out the Vote campaign
- The U.S. Elections Through International Eyes, Tuesday, 10/20, 7-8:30 PM
- President Bollinger's 19th Annual FUN RUN, Virtual Edition. All registrants will have three days to complete the 5K distance on their own time from Friday, October 23 to Sunday, October 25
Please consider adding your voice to the Keep Our Community Healthy campaign to encourage others to Keep the Columbia Community Health Compact by sharing blogs, short testimonials or vlogs documenting your individual experiences. Fill out this form to let us know how you’d like to get involved. You can also check out this new video from Abigail Jaimes, a student at the School of Social Work, about her strategy for always having a mask with her and how we can continue to keep each other safe.
We also want you to know that students are now eligible to use Columbia Transportation’s recently launched Commuter Shuttle Service, which provides members of the community with an alternative form of travel to our campuses from parts of Manhattan and the outer boroughs. To learn more, please visit the Columbia Transportation website.
As a reminder, the Columbia Community Citizenship Initiative is underway. All students new to their school are required to complete the Initiative, and all other students are strongly encouraged to participate. Learn more about how you can participate.
Visit University Life’s website to see more events and opportunities across Columbia. As always, we welcome your ideas and suggestions at [email protected].
Joseph Defraine Greenwell, Ed.D.
Vice President for Student Affairs
Office of University Life
Gender Pronouns: He/Him/His
Associate Vice President for Student Life
Office of University Life
Gender Pronouns: She/Her/Hers