As a nation, we continue to grapple with anti-Asian bias, something we’ve seen an increase in times of duress, making this a relevant and pressing issue for us to address as a community.
Whether you are seeking ways to actively promote racial justice in support of friends, neighbors, and colleagues, or you identify as Asian, Pacific Islander, or Desi American and seek educational resources, support or wish to report a bias incident, each of us can play a part in stopping anti-APIDA hatred and violence.
The resources below were compiled in partnership with student affairs staff from across the University. Requests to add additional items can be sent to [email protected].
The resources below include off-campus resources that Columbia is neither affiliated with nor explicitly endorses. This list is intended only to inform students of resources available to them in the broader community.
The books listed below are only a small sample of books available from Columbia Libraries on this topic. Please consult with a Columbia reference librarian for additional resources.
Book descriptions are visible when hovering over book covers.
- Center for the Study of Ethnicity and Race
- Columbia Department of East Asian Languages & Cultures
- Columbia Middle Eastern, South Asian, and African Studies
- Columbia University Libraries-South & Southeast Asian Studies
- Columbia University Weatherhead East Asian Institute
- Columbia South Asia Institute
- Master of Arts in Regional Studies: East Asian
- SIPA East Asia Specialization
- All students can report incidents of bias to their Dean of Students.
- Students may also report incidents here.
- Columbia College and SEAS undergraduate students, please report incidents here.
- Combating Anti-AAPI Hate and Violence
- Newsletter on combating hate and violence against Asian Americans
- Stand in Solidarity: Combating Anti-Asian Hate and Violence
- The Future Repeats Itself: Historical Roots of Anti-Chinese Animus in the time of COVID
- Undergraduate Student Life
- University Life Forum: Linked Fates, Linked Futures
- We Have to Reimagine: A Conversation about Anti-Asian Racism and Violence
- Active: Asian American Community Resources
- Asian Awareness Project
- Sakhi for South Asian Women COVID-19 Updates and Resources
- Helpful videos for Asian Americans parents:
- AAJIL: Asian American Justice Innovation Labs Core Training
- Anti-Asian Violence Resources Card
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice
- Asian American Bar Association of New York - COVID-19 Resources: Anti-Asian Harassment and Discrimination
- Asian American Federation Anti-Asian Bias Reporting Form
- Combating Anti-Asian Racism and COVID-19 Toolkit
- NAPAWF NYC - COVID Racist Harassment Coping Guide
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association Hate Crime Resources
- NYC Commission on Human Rights Resources:
- New York State Attorney General Hotline to Report Incidents and for Legal Assistance
- NYPD Hate Crimes Task Force and Reporting Resources
- Stop AAPI Hate
- The Xin Sheng Project Providing Alternative Narratives to the Chinese Diaspora
- A recently updated list of anti-racist resources compiled by the Asian/Pacific American Librarians Association
- During pandemic, racism puts additional stress on Asian Americans | ScienceDaily
- Fact Sheet on Anti-Asian Prejudice March 2020 | Center for the Study of Hate & Extremism
- NYPL's list of noteworthy fiction, and non-fiction books for adults written by Asian Pacific Islander Desi Americans
- Racial discrimination has different mental health effects on Asians depending on ethnic identity, age and birthplace, study shows | American Psychological Association
- White House Memorandum Condemning and Combating Racism, Xenophobia, and Intolerance Against Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders in the United States
- Xenophobia and Racism Against Asian Americans During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Mental Health Implications | Journal of Interdisciplinary Perspectives and Scholarship
- A Queer Cousin Story | Farha Najah
- Anti-Asian Corona-Racism Part One | Bianca Mabute-Louie
- Anti-Asian Corona-Racism Part Two : The Fragility of the Model Minority & the Possibilities of This Movement | Bianca Mabute-Louie
- Asian American Feminist Antibodies : Care in the Time of the Coronavirus | An Asian American Feminist Collective & Bluestockings NYC Collab
- Chop Suey Spex by Lala Endara
- Define me. Am I included in your rev-o-lution? | Lauren Jade Martin
- Freeze dried noodle: a new zine on the ethnic supermarket, foodways, and ethnic legitimacy | Cathlin Goulding
- I Was Abducted by White People | Kim So Yung
- Mellow Yellow | Hannah Ho
- Memoirs of a Queer Hapa #2 | Jackie Wang
- Musings of a jook-sing | Diana Mai
- Slander | Mimi Thi Nguyen
- The president's coronavi [strikethrough] chinavirus guidelines for America
- Whose Feminism Is It Anyway? | Emi Kayoma
- Yello Kitty: for kitties of color | Elisa Paik