Awakening our Democracy: The Politics of Gender - SUGGESTED READINGS
The Office of University Life hosts the next installment of its ongoing conversation series, AWAKENING OUR DEMOCRACY, Thurs. Mar. 10, with panelists representing a wide range of perspectives on gender, feminism and masculinity. Their suggested readings and topical music selections follow.
- Black Trans Lives Matter, Too - C. Biko, Huffington Post
- Video: Caitlyn Jenner a transgender tipping point? - M. Harris-Perry, MSNBC
- Video: Does race have to depend on parentage? - M. Harris-Perry, MSNBC
- Beyoncé - "Formation"
- SPARK Movement - Tools and resources to ignite a global young feminist movement.
- Reina Gossett - Official website for Activist Fellow at Barnard College’s Center for Research on Women
- An Open Letter to Jane Doe, the 16-year-old Girl Who Smiles & Dreams From Behind Bars - J. Mock
- The Polyphonic Spree - "Wig in a Box" (from Hedwig and the Angry Inch)
- The Coup - "Wear Clean Draws"
From Prof. Kendall Thomas, Columbia Law School:
- Masculinity and nationalism: gender and sexuality in the making of nations - J. Nagel, Ethnic and Racial Studies
- The cost of masculine crime - A. Oakley and C. Cockburn, opendemocracy.net
- From Gender Violence to Gender Democracy: What Will It Take? - C. Dabby, Asian Pacific Institute on Gender-Based Violence
- The refugee crisis: demilitarising masculinities - J. Allsop, opendemocracy.net
- Jock the Vote: Election Outcomes Affect Testosterone Levels in Men - C. Choi, Scientific American
- Antony and the Johnsons - "For Today I Am A Boy"